Sept. 4, 2012
QUEENS, N.Y. - Unbeaten in its first four games for the first time since 2008, No. 12/18 St. John's (3-0-1) returns home after winning the Gamecock Classic and opens a brief two-game homestand against Ivy League squad Princeton (1-0-0). The Red Storm takes on the Tigers in an 8 p.m. matchup on Sept. 5.
- St. John's was also 3-0-1 through its first four games in 2008, a season that began with a 10-game unbeaten (8-0-2) streak and ended with a trip to the College Cup and a 19-3-3 record.
- St. John's, which ranks tied for second in the BIG EAST with 2.0 goals scored per game, has scored at least twice in three of its first four games this season.
- Jack Bennett, Nick Matthews and Andres Vargas each have two goals and one assist on the season and are in a group of seven players that are tied for fourth in the BIG EAST with five points.
- St. John's also leads the league with a 0.47 goals against average.
- The Red Storm is 3-0-0 this season when scoring first and 2-0-0 when leading at halftime.
- Princeton is the first of two Ivy League schools on the schedule as St. John's will also welcome Columbia to Belson Stadium on Sept. 25.
Inside The Series With Princeton
- This will be the sixth meeting in an all-time series that dates back to 1995.
- The Red Storm leads the series 2-1-2 and is unbeaten in the last four meetings beginning with a 1-0 win on Oct. 4, 2006.
- Each of the last three meetings have gone into double overtime. St. John's notched a 3-2 golden goal win on Sept. 28, 2011 and played Princeton to 1-1 draws in both the 2009 and 2007 seasons.
Scouting the Tigers
- Princeton is 1-0-0 on the season after recording a 2-1 win against Seton Hall on Aug. 31 to open the 2012 season. The Tigers finished the 2011 campaign with a 5-10-2 mark.
- Matt Sanner and Julian Griggs have one goal apiece, while Thomas Sanner has two assists on the year. Max Gallin made nine saves in goal against the Pirates.
- Sanner scored seven goals last season to earn first team All-Ivy honors, while Griggs was an honorable mention All-Ivy honoree.
- Mark Linnville, a three-time first team All-Ivy choice, leads the defense and added one goal and five assists a season ago.
Bennett Selected To BIG EAST Weekly Honor Roll
- Jack Bennett was named to the BIG EAST weekly honor roll after helping St. John's win the Gamecock Classic by posting a 2-0-0 mark.
- The Gamecock Classic Offensive MVP and a member of the All-Tournament Team, Bennett registered one goal, a game-winner, and one assist.
- After recording an assist in a 2-0 win against South Carolina (Aug. 31), Bennett scored the game-winner on a penalty kick in a 2-1 win against Kentucky (Sept. 2).
Bennett Earns Gamecock Classic Offensive MVP Honors; Four Named To All-Tournament Team
- Jack Bennett earned Offensive MVP honors and was one of four Red Storm players on the All-Tournament Team as St. John's won the Gamecock Classic.
- Bennett had one goal, the game-winner in a 2-1 win against Kentucky (Sept. 2), and added an assist in a 2-0 win against South Carolina (Aug. 31).
- Rafael Diaz made three saves in a shutout effort against the Gamecocks and added a season-high five saves against the Wildcats to earn All-Tournament honors.
- Tim Parker and Jamie Thomas were also named to the All-Tournament Team for their defensive efforts.